Manchester United (MANU.US) is a renowned English professional football club, listed on the New York Stock Exchange, with a market capitalization of $3.59 billion as of July 28, 2023. The club's rich history can be traced back to 1878 when it was founded as Newton Heath LYR Football Club.
In 1902, the club was renamed Manchester United, and it has since become one of the most successful and iconic football clubs in the world. With an illustrious legacy, it has won numerous domestic and international titles, including multiple English Premier League championships and UEFA Champions League titles. The club's distinctive red jersey and passionate fan base have solidified its global reputation. The club went public in 2012, allowing fans and investors to have ownership in one of football's most storied clubs.
Manchester United's share price has had its ups and downs in the past five years. The highest stock price reached was $27.70 in August 2018, while the lowest was $10.41 in July 2022. In June 2018, the stock price surged to its then-highest point in reaction to rumours of a possible takeover bid. The share price rose by 10% in one day, and this news led to a surge in trading volumes as investors tried to capitalise on potential gains. However, no official takeover bid was made, and the stock price gradually declined over the next few months.
Traders may use various tools and indicators to analyse the Manchester United stock price. One popular tool is moving averages, which may help to identify trend direction and support/resistance levels. For example, if the 50-day moving average crosses above the 200-day moving average, this is known as a "golden cross" and could signal a bullish trend.
Manchester United (MANU.US) is one of the most popular stocks in the market and it is not surprising that traders and investors alike are interested in trading this stock. However, before you start trading its stock, it is essential to know who they are competing against in the market:
- FC Barcelona (BARUSD) is a prestigious Spanish professional football club based in Barcelona. It is one of the most successful football clubs globally, having won numerous domestic and international titles, including multiple La Liga and UEFA Champions League trophies.
- Atletico Madrid (ATMUSD) is another prominent Spanish football club based in Madrid. Founded in 1903, it has also enjoyed significant success, winning several La Liga titles and domestic cups. Atletico Madrid is renowned for its defensive prowess and intense, hardworking style of play.
|Swap long||[[ data.swapLong ]] points|
|Swap short||[[ data.swapShort ]] points|
|Spread min||[[ data.stats.minSpread ]]|
|Spread avg||[[ data.stats.avgSpread ]]|
|Min contract size||[[ data.minVolume ]]|
|Min step size||[[ data.stepVolume ]]|
|Commission and Swap||Commission and Swap|
|Trading Hours||Trading Hours|
* The spreads provided are a reflection of the time-weighted average. Though Skilling attempts to provide competitive spreads during all trading hours, clients should note that these may vary and are susceptible to underlying market conditions. The above is provided for indicative purposes only. Clients are advised to check important news announcements on our Economic Calendar, which may result in the widening of spreads, amongst other instances.
The above spreads are applicable under normal trading conditions. Skilling has the right to amend the above spreads according to market conditions as per the 'Terms and Conditions'.
What are the key drivers affecting Manchester United's stock price?
The key drivers affecting Manchester United's stock price include various factors. One important driver is the performance of the club on the field, including match results, player signings, and overall team success. Financial performance, such as revenue from broadcasting rights, sponsorships, and merchandise sales, could also influences the stock price. Additionally, investor sentiment and market trends impact the stock price. News and rumours related to ownership changes or potential sales could create volatility.
Macroeconomic factors, such as interest rates and global economic conditions, may also play a role. It's important to note that stock prices could be influenced by a combination of these factors, making it essential for traders to consider multiple variables when evaluating the stock.
Who are the majority shareholders of Manchester United?
The majority shareholders of Manchester United are primarily institutional investors. The top institutional holders and their ownership percentages as of June 29, 2023, are as follows:
- Lindsell Train Limited: Holds 11,099,176 shares, representing 21.02% ownership.
- Ariel Investments, LLC: Holds 6,497,307 shares, representing 12.31% ownership.
- Eminence Capital, LP: Holds 3,964,174 shares, representing 7.51% ownership.
- Pentwater Capital Management Lp: Holds 2,110,000 shares, representing 4.00% ownership.
- Morgan Stanley: Holds 895,295 shares, representing 1.70% ownership.
These institutional investors own a significant percentage of the company's shares, indicating their confidence in Manchester United. It's important to note that these figures may change over time as ownership positions are subject to buying and selling by investors.
What are stock CFDs and how do they work when trading Manchester United stock?
Stock CFDs, or Contracts for Difference, are financial derivatives that allow traders to speculate on the price movements of stocks without owning the underlying asset. When trading Manchester United stock CFDs, you are essentially entering into an agreement with a broker to exchange the difference in the stock's price from the time of opening the trade to the time of closing it.
If you believe the stock price will rise, you can open a long position (buy), and if you anticipate a decrease, you can open a short position (sell). Profits or losses are determined by the difference between the opening and closing prices.
Why Trade [[data.name]]
Make the most of price fluctuations - no matter what direction the price swings and without capital restrictions that come with buying the underlying asset.