Trading Insights: BOE rate decision puts GBPUSD in focus
The above chart (1) illustrates the potential bearish conditions of the British Pound vs the US dollar (GBP/USD) as observed on the weekly chart.
The buck (USD) seems to be attracting buyer interest?
FX land does not seem to care at all about Fitch
Fitch the international credit rating agency downgraded the US credit rating… And the USD strengthens.
The US dollar index up +1% last five days
What is the US dollar index?
The US Dollar Index is composed of six major currencies, with their respective weights in the index:
- Euro (EUR) - 57.6% weight - EUR/USD
- Japanese yen (JPY) - 13.6% weight - USD/JPY
- British pound sterling (GBP) - 11.9% weight - GBP/USD
- Canadian dollar (CAD) - 9.1% weight - USD/CAD
- Swedish krona (SEK) - 4.2% weight - USD/SEK
- Swiss franc (CHF) - 3.6% weight - USD/CHF
Although the US Dollar index itself can be traded, the US Dollar Index is mostly used by traders, investors, and analysts as a benchmark to assess the dollar's strength relative to other currencies. It is also seen as an indicator of the US economy's health.
Skilling’s depth of CFDs products offers traders the opportunity to find trades in all market conditions.
Today’s economic calendar
UK Bank of England (BOE) rate decision on deck
- The market in general expects at least a 0.25% rate hike
- Higher UK wage growth points to the prospects of higher UK inflation down the road
- Although some analysts may have the view that the BOE could justify hiking more than 0.25%, chances are we’re looking at a 0.25% hike, but the BOE could signal that the door will remain open for further rate hikes in the coming months
Source: TradingView / J. Knobel August 3 2023 7:49 AM UTC
FTSE 100 Index - bearish below its 200 day moving average
Technical commentary: Uk FTSE 100 current price 7,443 outlook looking bearish since price fell below its 200 day moving average. Downside prospects for a test of the lower 7,230s (see chart) can not be ruled out. Upside risk above the 7,740s resistance that intersects at the multi-month downward sloping trendline (see chart) could suggest a bull market trigger event. Therefore, short positions could be technically supported provided price remains below the 7,740 key resistance.
Do you have an opinion on where financial markets are heading? Express your opinion and trade with CFDs.
Not investment advice. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance.
Chinese property giant Evergrande's default places additional pressure on stocks. Oil prices dip while US treasury yield...
Bank of Japan made the decision to keep rates in negative territory earlier today, bolstering the EUR/JPY and USD/JPY cu...